I have a love hate relationship with inspirational quotes. This is because I’m a self-motivated person and if I feel the ned to go looking for something inspiring, I’m really down. But it does happen and, trite as it sounds, sometimes hearing a good old quote from someone who went through a lot helps me.
My personal favorite quote is from Winston Churchill: “If you’re going through hell, keep going.” In a nutshell, that is at he heart of everything that I find inspiring in the world. The idea that no matter how difficult something is, it will pass sooner or later, in one way or another. Even in the worst case scenarios where the end is death, no suffering lasts forever. Winston Churchill quotes are easy to like.
But that already sounds gloomier than I wanted this to be. So I’m going to cut that out and start a list of inspiring quotes here that I’ll add to every time I find something worthwhile. Please feel free to suggest more in the comments and I’ll add them to the post.
- It was a high counsel that I once heard given to a young person, “Always do what you are afraid to do.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
- He who hesitates is lost – unknown proverb
- Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right – Henry Ford (I actually saw this quote in a continuing education course catalog here in Salt Lake–for a spoon bending class, of all things)
- Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart – Confucius (this reminds me of a passage CS Lewis wrote in which he said he didn’t want to be “merely” anything)
- Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage – Woody Allen (If you have never read his prose, I highly recommend it)
- It’s hard to beat a person who never gives up – Babe Ruth
Everything here makes me smile just about every time I see the words. I’m not above a little instant inspiration now and then, although I do wish that I could just maintain constant drive and courage without ever needing anything external to bolster it.
If you liked this post, please Subscribe To The RSS feed.
And if you like the post, you’ll love the newsletter.