That was said by my dad when we were lifting together consistently. He said this after I told him that I wasn’t feeling that motivated to go to the gym. He never pushed and he would have respected my decision to stay home, but of course after he said that I had to go with him. And I had one of the greatest weight training sessions of my life, which I would have missed out on entirely had I stayed home.
So for your motivating, pumping-up, workout-inspiring pleasure, here is a collection of my favorite quotes that help me get to the gym and stay fired up, whether I’m trying to build muscle, lose fat, and whether I’m using kettlebells, barbells, or anything else that works.
Some of them have direct application, some just work for me. Feel free to add to the list!
- For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer – Arnold Schwarzenegger
- Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness – Edward Stanley
- If your dog is fat, you’re not getting enough exercise – Anonymous
- The best activities for your health are pumping and humping – Arnold again
- My workout is my meditation – Kyle Mclachlan
- The goal is to keep the goal the goal – Dan John
- We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same – Carlos Castaneda
- Your body hears everything your mind says – Naomi Judd
- He who is outside his door has the hardest part of his journey behind him – Dutch Proverb
- The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds – Henry Rollins
- Work within your limits and you expand your limits – Frankie Faires
- Age is whatever you think it is. You are as old as you think you are – Muhammad Ali
- Superman don’t need no seat belt – Ali again
I’ll leave it at that for now. Man I love this stuff. Time to go lift!
Strength Training for body and mind