Quantcast
≡ Menu

How To Have Tourette’s Part 7: No Excuses

Update: If you found your way here because you have Tourette’s, please subscribe to my Tourette’s newsletter and watch the video. A lot has changed since I filmed this.

Bad day, then a bad night.  But a lesson learned.  Please share this with anyone who could use the message.  Much appreciated, friend.

I’m okay.  I really am.

You make this easier for me by being here.  Thank you.

Josh

If you liked this post, please Subscribe To The RSS feed.

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Professor Beej November 17, 2009, 1:20 am

I’m not sure what to say, and I’m not sure if anything I could say would be appropriate, but I am certainly (and honestly) glad that the blogging and guest posting that’s been going on lately has been a positive outlet for you.

I’ve seen way too many people with “built in excuses” crumble and live lives that they were better than simply because it was easier to give in than find a way to deal, and while I can’t say that I “enjoy” this series, I am certainly touched by it and hope that the little I can do by reading and watching helps in some small way.

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 10:35 am

Oh man, I don’t enjoy it either, I know what you mean. Glad that you get something out of it. Thanks for dropping by.

• Chris Smith November 17, 2009, 1:35 am

Josh I just wanted to tell you that you’re a tremendously inspirational person. Hope all is well.

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 10:36 am

Chris, today is going much better. Got up early, going to go lift something heavy, all will be better soon.

• Lucy November 17, 2009, 3:01 am

This post really brings home the double-meaning in your blog title. I’ll bookmark it for all those times when strength of mind is called for…

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 10:37 am

Double meaning? It has at least 1000 implications:)

• Lisis November 17, 2009, 6:27 am

Thank you, Josh. Lori and I were just talking about this last night… not Tourettes, per se, but other built in excuses that people (“they”) just don’t understand.

My dad was in a wheelchair the last 10 years of his life, and I remember always thinking that he was “milking” it. I knew he was capable of more than he let on when he was around others, so that they would do stuff for him; he played the victim, and it drove me nuts.

I just realized, watching your video, I’ve been doing the same thing for years. It’s gotta stop.

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 10:40 am

Lisis, give yourself a break. Cut out whatever hinders you, but don’t worry about things that don’t matter. You’ll always know best.

• Char (PSI Tutor:Mentor) November 17, 2009, 6:33 am

Oww!

It is so cool that you have a workplace that accepts others as they are.

When you were an undergrad, was it a mission to research and write assignments or give presentations…?

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 10:41 am

Char, my undergraduate work was in English, so I basically just wrote lots of papers. It’s not always like this. Normally, speaking is enough distraction to calm things down. Normally!

• Bert Meert November 17, 2009, 6:35 am

Without acceptance, everything in life becomes a struggle.

Thank you for sharing your story, Josh. All the best, Bert.

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 10:42 am

Bert, that quote is now tattooed on my big toe.

• Stephanie Smith November 17, 2009, 6:53 am

Josh,
    You know that I admire you and the courage it takes to “put yourself out there” – but you are right. It would belittle the very things which I admire if I treated you with kid gloves because you have Tourette’s. We ALL have excuses, whether they are medical, mental, or family related. I used to be one to always forge ahead and be the fighter, the one who stood up for the underdog. Then I made some very poor choices that led to a horrific experience I would not wish on anyone and a label I am now forced to carry my whole life, though it far from defines who I am. All that aside, this year I decided to get out there and try again, to find a new job, doing something I truly love rather than staying stuck like a safe little turtle in her shell.
    We shall see how it works out, but you are right, as usual- NO EXCUSES! Thanks for the reminder!

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 10:43 am

Not so fast. Turtles can be pretty sweet.

• Sue November 17, 2009, 6:56 am

Wow Josh… you are amazing. What a gift to have found you and your wisdom.

Your message in the video is one that carries across every aspect of life, it just doesn’t have to be for Tourettes. We can all have excuses to make it easier for ourselves, it’s easy to have an excuse, it’s easy to be a couch potato.

Josh, your message touches me and reminds me that there are no excuses in life, none… we are the only ones who put limitations on ourselves. Most of the time I think it’s out of fear.

I would like to use your video in a post that I’m writing for caregivers. Can I have your permission to use the video?

Thank you.

Sue

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 10:47 am

Sue, you can certainly use the video. The permissions on Viddler are currently set to private so that I can bully people into coming to the blog to watch it, but feel free to steer people over. It will also be on Youtube tonight, and you’ll be free to use that embed code however you like.

• Linda Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 7:19 am

This is all about you being a great role model and no one feeling sorry for you; and I don’t – and you are, but it still makes your mother cry. I love you. Mom (Put on a football helmet).

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 10:47 am

Mom, they don’t make football helmets in my size. I’d have to weld two of them together and put a pointy cone at the top for my weird head.

• Eric | Eden Journal November 17, 2009, 7:51 am

Inspiring. That’s all I can really say, inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 10:48 am

Eric, you’re welcome. How are things going on your end of life?

• Chris November 17, 2009, 7:53 am

Hi Josh,

This is the first time I’ve been to your blog and I really like it. I must be honest and say that I’d heard of Tourette’s but wasn’t aware of how tormenting it can be. I know you don’t want pity and I don’t pity you. I respect you for being strong enough to face it and overcome it. It’s inspirational to see a person like you achieve so much in the face of such difficulty.

I understand what you mean about built in excuses. I was afflicted with Lyme Disease about two years ago and the doctors didn’t know what was wrong. As I lay in the hospital undiagnosed, the bacteria ravaged my nervous system and destroyed some of my facial nerves, leaving me with no movement or muscle tone in the left side of my face.

After they found out what was wrong and treated me, the damage was already done. I was devastated. I’d always been a good looking guy and been very popular with the girls, etc. Now I looked like a freak (at least I thought). I lay on the couch for many weeks full of self pity. Finally, I decided that I couldn’t live that way. I still loved life and so I decided to fight back.

After several months of physical therapy, I restored muscle tone and some movement in my face. Recently I was having a lot of pain in my knees, elbows and fingers. The doctor has told me that at 34 years old I am feeling the onset of rheumatoid arthritis from the damage the bacteria did. He’s told me that I’ll probably be on pain medication for the rest of life and by the time I reach 60 I may be in a wheelchair.

I’m sorry for babbling on but I wanted to let you know that I started to pity myself again but seeing your video made me realize that I can’t give up now. Thanks for the inspiration. I’ll be a regular reader on your blog from now on. Thanks, Josh.

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 10:50 am

Chris, I appreciate you sharing that, thanks. And let me be the first to tell you, you’re still handsome–I sense it! Feel free to babble whenever you like. That’s basically all we do around here.

• Heather November 17, 2009, 8:36 am

Ibid to what your mama said, Josh! Glad to know you’re ok. The bit with the glasses flying off yourface made me a bit nervous, because glasses are a pain to replace, and yours look expensive. Thanks for this, bubby. We’re all pullin’ for ya. I still say the score is : Josh–a bazillion, Tourette’s–.25. SCREW YOU, TOURETTE’S, JOSH STILL WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 10:50 am

Heather, those glasses are my only indulgence. They cost nearly as much as my car, meaning less than $500 but still pricey for glasses.

• Heather November 18, 2009, 10:14 am

Wow! Those are some expensive specs! @ Josh’s Mama: any way The Kid could get Santa to spring for a custom-sized football helmet? I’m sure there are some big-headed pros out there, and I bet there would be a way to get one without resorting to soldering or DIY football-helmetry.

@Josh re: your cone-shaped head: I didn’t know you were from France (ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! I’m old!) :P~

• Kelly Diels November 17, 2009, 8:48 am

I just want to say a lot of bad words to Tourettes and a lot of good words to you.

This message is so simple and so intense. I’m thinking about it now. What are my excuses? And I should get to getting over it.

Thank you Josh.

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 10:51 am

Your excuse is that you’re paralyzed by your own white hot awesomeness. You can’t choose what to perfect next:)

• John Bardos - JetSetCitizen November 17, 2009, 8:57 am

Inspiring message Josh!

Thanks for sharing. It is easy for all of us to make excuses regardless of what our situation is. No matter how bad we think we may have it, there are always those who have it worse.

I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 10:52 am

John, thanks. Today has been great so far. And don’t go thinking I have it worse than most people. We all have breaking points, and they’re all valid.

• Dan Druen November 17, 2009, 9:11 am

Wow Josh – inspiring stuff!

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 10:52 am

Dan, thanks! Glad you stopped by. Thanks for the RT.

• John November 17, 2009, 9:20 am

Josh,

I read your post on Copyblogger, “What I Learned From Writing 42 Guest Posts in 7 Weeks”, and I was really impressed. Then, I visited your site and watched this video.

Your ability to take the lemons you’ve been handed and make lemonade is truly inspiring!

Thank you for sharing and God Bless You.

– John

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 10:53 am

John, you’re making me blush, thanks. I do like lemonade.

• John November 17, 2009, 9:23 am

I used to make excuses all the time – using my age and inexperience as excuses for not performing my best or not doing well when put up to a difficult task. Now I see that responsible for everything I take part in. Whether I succeed or fail, it is all my doing.

Thank you for sharing this. No doubt you are even stronger because of it 🙂

• Patrick @ unwrapyourmind.com November 17, 2009, 9:27 am

Josh, great message from a great fighter.
    Excuses have been one of the greatest stumbling blocks for my development (as I guess for nearly everyone). Although others might judge my life as successful, it has always been on my mind, that this is nothing compared to my potential. So I became my worst critic (again I guess like nearly everyone else).

I needed to work on both aspects. Dropping the excuses (although they might slip in again from time to time, maybe a work for life) and getting rid of my inner critic who wasn’t helping at all.

Just the first visit on your blog and I have instantly retweeted this one.

Keep up the great work.

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 10:53 am

Thanks Patrick, will do. What’s the alternative to keeping at it? Not acceptable.

• Lori November 17, 2009, 9:34 am

I want to kick TS in the teeth.
    I hear what you’re saying about the hazards of wishing for something different.
    I would do anything not to have MS – but I can’t wish her away. She’s here to stay and her & I need to start getting along. It is quite unproductive to wish her away – agreed.
    Josh, you ARE the World’s Strongest Liberian in my book.
    ~xo

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 10:54 am

TS has no teeth. She is a wrinkled crone with nasty black gums.

• Srinivas Rao November 17, 2009, 10:05 am

Josh,

I think this is really brave of you to post this because it gives us a dose of who you really are and most people wouldn’t have the guts to do it. I think I mentioned to you my best friend had tourettes and couldn’t study at the library when he was at MIT.

As far as normal, I always think normal means ordinary. You are far from ordinary and you’ve taken something that would be a set back in most people’s lives and used it to make yourself extraordinary.

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 10:55 am

We did talk about your friend. Make no mistake, I let this be a setback for the better part of a decade. The good attitude is pretty new, but it’s here to stay.

• Casey Brazeal (North and Clark) November 17, 2009, 10:27 am

Josh I love coming here everyday and hearing from you buddy.

I hope the next time I hear about it your life has gotten a lot more boring.

In almost completely unrelated news, you have me shrinking the battle field everyday.

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 10:56 am

Casey, glad to hear it. Here’s to occasional boringness!

• Niel November 17, 2009, 10:27 am

Bad days, always have to have a few of them.

Otherwise, good days would have no meaning in life!

Cool video Josh.

• Oleg Mokhov November 17, 2009, 10:28 am

Hey Josh,

The key line I got from you here was that you can certainly wish that things were different, but wishing won’t change your reality.

You don’t even have to like a certain aspect of your situation, but either you learn to work with it and use it to your advantage (how Tourette’s made you a stronger person, rather than you feeling victimized), or you sit around and dream of fantasies that won’t come true, never living life to it’s fullest present potential.

No excuses. Reality is the way it is, like it or not, for better or for worse. We can feel pitiful and live in a meek manner, or we find the best in the present situation (even flipping a negative into a self-motivating positive), grab life by its throat, and live to the maximum that we can.

Thanks for sharing this honest and inspiring video of yours,
    Oleg

• Karina November 17, 2009, 10:55 am

You’re a very inspirational person Josh – I’m glad you write. I’m also glad you posted this video. It came at just the perfect time – I stayed at home the whole day today because I was feeling sorry for myself. I was lying on the couch the whole day, not doing anything. Why? Because I was in a bit of pain. I wanted it all to be over with. I wished that my life was different. Yeah, I’m embarrassed of myself after watching your video. But it was your video that took me out of my funk … and here I am, smiling. Smiling because you made me realize that I’m not alone – that everyone hurts and we need to figure out a way to deal with it. We need to figure out a way to work around our pain, whatever it may be.

Thank you. Really, thank you.

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 10:59 am

There’s no experience as universal as “ouch.”

• Tim November 17, 2009, 11:31 am

Josh:

Thank you for sharing this very personal video…I cannot tell you how much admiration I have for you that you are pushing on through this, despite your incredible challenges. You have hit upon something very important…excuses. It is amazing how well many of us can make excuses…I know I can be good at this, myself. But you are showing us, with great courage, how we must get beyond this and live the lives we were meant to live. Thank you again for your words of wisdom and example.

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 11:40 am

Man, no matter how many times I hear “wisdom” and my name in the same sentence, it’s not sounding any more natural to me. I think you might be crazy, Tim, but thank you for the kind words and encouragement.

• Larissa November 17, 2009, 11:43 am

Hi Josh,
    I was in the middle of watching this video when my youngest son walked up to see what I was watching. I paused it, but he could still see you, and he instantly said, “Hey! That’s that really, really strong man who bends nails!!!!!” (I showed them your earlier video so that Ethan could see how strong you are. 😉 )
    Anyway, I just thought that was so fitting because I had been thinking that same thought. Now go kick that old-nasty-black-gummed lady’s butt!

• Nikki H. November 17, 2009, 12:06 pm

Many thanks for this video. I don’t have much to say that hasn’t already been said…but I’ve been hosting my own long-running pity party for weeks now, and I think you may have snapped me out of it. Thanks.

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 12:51 pm

I don’t know, Nikki–a three week party sound pretty nice. Was there cake for three weeks?

• Jessica Marie November 17, 2009, 12:20 pm

I have to admit that it was hard to watch the video. I wanted to grab your hands and hold them (even though I know that I wouldn’t be strong enough to stop you.) You are, as always, an inspiration. Surely a professional football team would have a helmet big enough for you. There are some pretty big professionals out there.

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 12:50 pm

Jessica, I sympathize. I don’t watch videos of myself. I’ve made my peace with how it feels, but still don’t want to see how it looks.

• Kevin November 17, 2009, 1:55 pm

Josh,

Your awesome man. I’m so glad I found your blog yesterday and I really look forward to your guest blog. You demonstrate the exact principals I’m hoping to install in my readers, my daughter with CP and what I try to live by. It doesn’t matter who you are you can always come up with some form of excuse to not to rise above your circumstances. I needed this today. thank you, Kevin

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 1:57 pm

Kevin, that’s wonderful. Good luck to you both.

• Joey | R. J. Spindle November 17, 2009, 2:02 pm

I’m not sure what to say that hasn’t been said already. This hit me hard. I started reading our blog for the humor you so often infuse your posts with … I’d read you had Tourettes, but I don’t think I’d ever seen “tourettes-in-action” until your video today. Not the for-real kind anyway.

Since my genuine sentiments have been aptly captured by those commenters who came before me, I’ll just leave it off with this: Thank you, and I promise NEVER to play the “stop hitting yourself game” with my niece again. Haha. I apologize if that was going over the line (I couldn’t not make a joke; it’s what I do). Laughter is the best medicine, and if we can’t laugh at ourselves then we’re going to end up very crabby people. Glad to hear you are doing better today!

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 2:04 pm

Joey, whatever your reasons for reading are, I’m glad you’re here.

• Sami - Life, Laughs & Lemmings November 17, 2009, 2:31 pm

So inspiring Josh. I totally admire how you handle TS. You have a mental strength few could match and of course, you bend stuff so matching you physically would be tough too! The world could do with more people willing to show authenticity like you do.

My excuse is anger. I have a short fuse and for a long time I used to say, “that’s just who I am, so accept it”. Whilst I’m not at the level of screaming and yelling abuse, it can still be a destructive emotion if kept unchecked. With age (and I’d like to say maturity but I think I’d be lying), I realised I was just kidding myself and that it wasn’t fair to those close to me. They shouldn’t have to put up with it and neither should I. So I’ve been taking steps to understand it and find healthy ways to express it. I’m lucky, my partner is a genius at handling his own anger so I’ve learnt a lot from him.

Take it easy Josh and thanks for the inspiration.

• Rob November 17, 2009, 4:50 pm

Josh, you ‘ve started something pretty special with this blog mate! Mucho respecto my friend.
    Also heard you did 230 in the SSST, that’s some serious fitness!
    Now I’m mad!! 🙂

Rob

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 5:02 pm

Robb, I’ll give you 20 of those snatches if you can give me 20 lbs for me max press.

• Rob November 17, 2009, 5:13 pm

No probs ! you can have 30 if you want + 30lb of my bodyweight which should see you right. You’ve set me off on the trail of another go at the SSST (later this week hopefully)

• Paul Hassing November 17, 2009, 5:56 pm

One of THE most startling, riveting, informative and touching things I have EVER seen on my computer screen.

I’m fond of saying ‘all power to your arm’, but yours seem quite strong enough already. Thank you for opening my eyes, mind and heart. Brilliant stuff! P. 🙂

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 6:03 pm

Wow Paul, I’m not sure if I should thank you or send you a bunch of youtube links that you’d get a kick out of, more than this:)

• Paul Hassing November 17, 2009, 6:06 pm

How about just one link? My world view is smarting from the BIG stretch you just gave it! 🙂

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 8:00 pm

Paul, I’m still a sucker for the Korean baby singing Hey Jude on Youtube. I’d way rather see that, but then, I can’t watch my own videos.

• Suzqfreetibet November 17, 2009, 6:46 pm

Just found your site today. I’m already a huge fan. I’m inspired!

• Stephen Glanville November 17, 2009, 7:33 pm

Well Josh…you sure can take a punch mate 🙂 I wouldn’t like to be in the way of that right cross :-P…

I’ve worked as a Community Carer & can from my own experience bolster your testimony that your situation is comparatively mild. It constantly staggers me the things that people can endure, live with, adapt to and even smile about.

It has been my practice (not a very effective one mind you :-P), to say to people who are ‘caring for’ (read – caging), either animals or people – “before you put them in there, live in there yourself for at least 3 months”.

My excuses have always been ‘other people’. This is a very scary one because it’s seemingly vicarious…seemingly ‘over there’ and can be endlessly bolstered by such insidious things as a culturally valued & very socially acceptable strong intellect & using even less obvious things like affirmations; e.g. ‘one cannot change others, only one’s self’ et al ad nauseum.

The excuse of ‘other people’ is, in my opinion, endemic in our culture (i.e. Economania); underpinning our entire ‘value’, or as I sometimes say, our ‘devalue’ systems. It even has it’s own economic term – ‘the easy rider effect’ – meaning: ‘why should I do that if they’re not doing it?’, or in other words ‘what’s the point?’.

I wonder how and/or if true inspiration is ever going to be ‘actually’ valued socio-economically (& I don’t mean via marketing & an eBook)?

I mean ‘valued’ by virtue of being. That our culture adapts such that the contribution that the lives of folks make (e.g. a hug, a listening ear, a cuppa, needing a hug), is recognised & even leveraged via value systems other than short-term profit or a minimum 3% average growth rate.

Where ‘Community Services’ become more than a tax deductible, culturally acceptable means of institutionalising our collective denial & guilt & feelings of inadequacy…therefore excuses?

Mate! If I’ve ever seen a speaker that could deliver the crucial messages that our planet is currently spending gazillions in it’s final desperate attempts to ignore, it is you.

Never give up! Never surrender! (I just loved good ol’ Galaxy Quest – Geez I hope you can watch movies? 🙂

Thanks mate…you’ve certainly made my day…I’ll be back 🙂

Cheers

Stephen G

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 7:59 pm

Hi Stephen. I can watch movies, I just have to have a guitar in my hand to distract me. In one of the other tourette’s posts, you can read about what happened once when I went into a movie theater with disastrous results:)

• Stephen Glanville November 19, 2009, 12:06 am

Ha! 🙂 Excellent 🙂

Can think of about a gazillion worse things to use for distraction 🙂 Though I don’t do it as much now, I used to do scales while watchin’ movies.

& Cool! Keen to see a couple of your triumphant disasters ;-P

Onya Cobba…in the words of my favourite Terminator…Aaarl be baark! 🙂

Cheers

Stephen G

• Craig November 17, 2009, 7:40 pm

I had a built-in excuse that I used for many years. It was an excuse to maintain status quo and give up when things got tough. And well, those are exactly the results I got as long as I used the excuse!

Utmost respect to you, Josh. Some things are much easier than others to accept. Some things are much easier than others to give up over. I’m glad to see your perspective says “so what” to both statements.

-Craig

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 8:01 pm

Things get easier to accept once you’ve actually been forced to your knees. You can crawl or you can accept it and get up and figure things out.

• Fred Cook November 17, 2009, 8:48 pm

Hey Josh…just wanted to stop by and echo what a lot of folks have already said; thanks for putting it all out there…I know you’re reaching a ton of people and helping each in their own way. Very inspiring, Josh. Glad we “met”. Keep ‘making your own luck’…
    🙂

-Fred

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 9:07 pm

Fred, I’m your biggest fan. Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the encouragement.

• TerrencetheRedd November 17, 2009, 9:16 pm

I caught an article that you wrote for copyblogger.com I believe that It was about an posting marathon that you engaged in. I read it and was intimidated right off!! Then I read the short bio on you at the bottom and I thought that it was a joke!! So I came to your site to see. you are an inspiration to newbie bloggers (like myself) I find myself coming up with excusses lately,but I am going to work on that!! Hey did I see some guitars in the background. you play guitar don’t you? Way cool!! I have a blogg on guitar playing I would be glad if you could pop by and take look at it and let me know what you think!!

God Bless!!

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 9:49 pm

Hey Terrence. I’ve been playing for about 16 years. There are a couple of songs on the blog you might enjoy . Thanks for the comment.

• andrea frazer November 17, 2009, 10:27 pm

I found you through Michelle McGee. You are as awesome as she said you’d be. Having a 6 year old boy w/TS, I have to admit it was your mom’s comment that made me laugh the most. Only don’t listen to her: A helmet with a bad head jerk could send that sucker flying through my living room window. And then I’d make you pay – costing you more than your handsome designer glasses.

xoxox

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 10:34 pm

Andrea, thank you. How’s your boy doing? And I agree with you and would add: I’m far too lovely to hide behind an ugly plastic helmet.

• Jason November 17, 2009, 10:30 pm

An inspirational video Josh.

It was great to meet you today at Crossfit. I was the tall guy who introduced himself, the one who finished last in today’s grueling workout.

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 10:34 pm

Jason, you didn’t finish last. I saw you do the workout twice while everyone else did it once, but I understand why you don’t like to brag. It was great to meet you. That’s two tall guys at the gym.

• andrea frazer November 17, 2009, 11:27 pm

Hi back – I had a feeling you’d be like me – up until the wee hours of the morning responding to emails!

Dominc is almost 7 and he’s doing really well. I’d call his TS mild with some mild highs. At its worst lots of blinking, eye rolling and mild vocals. He is super popular at school and has zero… I mean ZERO issues with worry over the tics. It’s me, as a mom, who frets.

And yet, as I tell all my ladies in the support group I formed (Twitch and Bitch… that’s us): A kid with tics who is confident is far better off than a “perfect” child who is crumbling inside.

I know my son’s case is mild. I know that it’s my own issues with perfectionism that has me fret. And really, what is perfect? To me – what you are doing for others – that is perfect. I see sooo beyond your tics. Perhaps it’s time to forgive myself for being human.

NO MORE EXCUSES!

And yes, you’re far too cute for a helmet.
    It’s th

• Josh Hanagarne November 19, 2009, 9:15 am

Twitch and Bitch, that’s what i’m talking about! Do you accept men in your circle?

• TerrencetheRedd November 18, 2009, 6:45 am

I see that you workout with kettlebells. I heard about them in the earier part of this decade. I read about them in a fitness mag. I am just getting back into working out, I devloped an arthritic knee about 3 years ago. I also pulled my shoulder tendon around that same time. I stayed away from the gym about two years!! In addtion to that I put on 50 pounds sitting around eating and drinking!! I am trying to get back into it ,but it’s harder now, I can’t do the crazy, stess busting, exercises that I used to do and that hurts. As you said on your video no excuses right!!

GodBless

• Sarge November 18, 2009, 6:49 am

It’s really amazing and inspiring how you keep going in that video. It’s really hard to believe that’s it’s like that for you every day. I’ve bookmarked this for a time when I’m making excuses. You’re an inspiration to many Josh. Thanks for sharing

• Josh Hanagarne November 19, 2009, 9:17 am

Sarge, it’s not like that every day, but there are a lot of days when it’s a lot worse. You can keep going or lie down and wait to die. I won’t do it.

• Thiago Paulino November 18, 2009, 7:19 am

Hey Josh! You are incredible! I’ve reed same of your post and you write so well that i couldn’t imagine how it was for you.
    Congratulations, you are an incredible inspiration.

I’m a completely normal person and i use more excuses than you. I’ll probably never forget you.

And keep it up cause you will never be alone. Hope you continue to inspire people with your amazing story.

• Josh Hanagarne November 19, 2009, 9:18 am

Thiago, you can’t be completely normal or you wouldn’t be hanging out with the weirdos here on this blog, but I’m glad you’re here:)

• Josh Hanagarne November 18, 2009, 8:58 am

Lesson learned Josh – took some guts to put yourself out there like this. There’s not much to say that hasn’t already been said, but it’s been a pleasure getting to “know” you over the past few weeks. Looking forward to much success from both of us moving forward. Cheers!

• Matt Cheuvront November 18, 2009, 8:59 am

Second lesson learned – Wordpress.com keeps logging me back into your account automatically from the design work I did – the above comment is me – so to everyone who thinks Josh just wrote a comment to himself – no, he is not crazy – it’s all me.

• Josh Hanagarne November 18, 2009, 9:55 am

That must have been Matt. But nice to meet you to, Josh Hanagarne #2.

• Johan Mares November 18, 2009, 12:38 pm

I am glad you are feeling better today. I admire you. It would be so easy to have a blog whining & complaining about Tourette’s Syndrome, about how life isn’t fair. It would also be so easy to pretend to be the tough guy. And yet you manage to stay clear of both extremes, TS and the workouts are part of this blog as they are a part of your life.
    I am currently rereading the Tiffany Aching series by Terry Pratchett. There he writes about witches: ‘Witches deal with things’. I thought of you. No committees, no complaining, no letters to congressman, … just deal with it. Life goes on. Kudos.

PS: I didn’t try to picture you in a black dress with a pointy hat though.

• Josh Hanagarne November 18, 2009, 12:42 pm

Johan, that’s too bad, because that happens to be what I’m wearing right now. Pratchett has a quote for every situation!

• Dean Dwyer November 18, 2009, 4:38 pm

Well, not to sound like a big baby, but your video actually brought tears to my eyes Josh.

The hidden message in all that is your willingness to be transparent and not hide from the thing the scares you the most.

I’m reading Andre Agassi’s Autobiography right now and he has used the book (like you use the blog) to unveil all that he has been hiding from. While he realizes he has more to lose than to gain by releasing this book, he is now truly free.

The lesson for all of us is to find that thing we have that we keep locked up out of the public view and find a way to release it so we can experience a whole new sense of freedom.

Cheers mate for sharing.

Dean

• Josh Hanagarne November 18, 2009, 6:08 pm

Dean, that’s all right, dry your eyes, buddy. Just to follow up, I found the downside to being strong. After hitting myself so much that night, my neck was really, really hurting, and not getting any better for three days. I went to the chiropractor today and had three vertebrae sticking out from when my head got knocked to the side. But it feels better now, hoorah!

• Joanna Penn November 18, 2009, 6:29 pm

Hi Josh, you’re an inspiration to us all, my friend!
    For one, you have an amazing message to share – but second, you are putting yourself out there on video.
    You are honest and open with yourself and your viewers. That is embracing your whole self and that is what I am going to try to emulate.
    Thanks for sharing. Joanna

• Josh Hanagarne November 19, 2009, 9:19 am

Joanna, it’s easy to embrace myself–I’m soft like a blanket and smell like a delicate tulip.