Quantcast

Guest Post Ultra-Marathon: Let’s Get Stupid

Dear Reader,

Boo hoo...

Boo hoo...

Today you will find:

• A sob story
  • An opportunity for the two of us to collaborate
  • A guest post orgy/ultra-marathon that could help us both

The Sob Story

I don’t know what it is, but my Tourette’s has suddenly spun out of control. I’m having symptoms that I haven’t seen for years and am actually hurting myself again (not on purpose!). Lots of hitting, scratching, and a dislocated thumb.

Oh, and I keep biting down on silverware and have made the chip in my tooth even more Stonehengey

Rather than crippling me like it used to, it’s just really, really, really irritating me.

The only thing that ever helps is to be distracted. Nothing distracts me like focusing on writing, so…

Our Opportunity

Many people that read World’s Strongest Librarian have blogs of their own. I hope you are one of them. Here’s how you can help me help you help me. Did that make sense?

I’d like to come write something on your blog if you would like that. Just to see what happens. You get a guest post from me, I get a link from you.

Then I’ll run a list of the posts I’ve done and you’ll also get a link from me.

Your Part In This Fiasco

To prove that I’m not sitting around on a stack of guest posts that I can just mail out to anyone at all, all at once, I’m introducing a small catch.

If you’re interested in me writing something for your blog, please contact me lickety split and provide:

• Your blog’s title and URL
  • What you would like me to write about
  • An estimated word count: between 350-700 is ideal for me
  • An interesting angle to approach it from. Try to get creative. This should be fun.

Let’s See How Ridiculous We Can Make This

Because I’m not smart enough to quit typing right now and delete this post, I’m not going to put a cap on the number of posts I’ll write. 5? 30? 100? 200?. Let’s see what happens. Why not?

Between now and November 1, I will write as many guest posts as possible. It will help me handle my disorder, it will help me with my blog’s branding, and will provide you with one more grateful partner in your bag of blogging tricks.

You know I can write and I know you’re a genius since you’re here. We’ll class each other up.

Of course, I’ll still be taking care of business here at WSL, so consider this a massive double-dog-dare challenge to a guy who’s always looking for ways to push himself.

Writing is no different. This will be a great challenge for me and a treatment that my doctor’s would never think of.

And it’s a chance for you to take a day off from writing. As we go, I’ll post links to the posts I’ve done, so you’ll get a link from me as well.

Best of all

We both learn something about each other during the collaboration. That’s really what will make this worthwhile. We’ll have to interact a little more than we’re able to here on the blog.

I won’t say no to a guest post unless:

1) I can’t write about the subject with a conversant knowledge. I’m not going to be able to do a post about calculus without spending a couple of years with tutors.

2) It holds no interest for me at all (this is unlikely, as there are fun ways to look at just about anything). Again, get creative with your ideas. Let’s push each other a little bit and have a laugh.

3) Your blog deals with something I can’t support (think criminal activities or spam or Celine Dion…you get the idea)

Let’s go!

I’ll be staring at my inbox, convincing myself that this was a good idea as it billows and explodes.

Josh

If you liked this post, please Subscribe To The RSS feed.

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Gordie Rogers September 7, 2009, 4:24 am

You’re gonna save yourself a ton of work! It looks like you’ve taken lifestyle design to the next level. 😉

• Mike CJ September 7, 2009, 4:58 am

I’ve emailed a challenging offer to you to post on Mike’s Life. If that goes well, perhaps we can do a joint marathon posting on Celine?

• Annabel Candy September 7, 2009, 5:11 am

Well, I hate to overload you but…. oh, all right then, I’d love one:)

• Pete | The Tango Notebook September 7, 2009, 7:27 am

My offer will be in your inbox by 11am, tango man. Let the good times roll!

• Casey Brazeal (North and Clark) September 7, 2009, 7:44 am

You’re a mad man, but good luck.

I know if you can crank these out the story will make for a good post.

Also I really hope that writing works as a strategy to deal with the symptoms. Please take care of yourself as best you can. This could be a fun idea, but please make sure that you stop working on this stuff if there is something better you should be doing for your health. Not to be a wet blanket I love this idea, but don’t feel honor bound to do anything that wouldn’t be good for you.

• Josh Hanagarne September 7, 2009, 8:22 am

Casey B, don’t worry. I promise not to skip workouts, work, or meals. Like I said, there’s no cap, but that also means there’s no minimum, so maybe I’ll only have 10 on me. But I’m saying now–that’ll be the day! I’ve got the day off and I’m going to get started quick. thanks!

• hoong yee lee krakauer September 7, 2009, 8:29 am

hi josh:
    i love how you love kettlebells. i never knew what they were until i started reading your blog. but what i really love is the passion you have for them in your lifestyle.

i am a momspy, artspy, nonprofit knitter and i write style notes for people who change the world on my blog

here’s my challenge:

write a 500 word post with a cool image about why challenges are often the best sources of inspiration.
    is the glass half empty or half full – i would imagine you answering with something like “ooh! just the place to put my magic rocks!”

put your humorous spin on it. i look forward to sharing your post.

• I like the part about “classing each other up.” You’re so good with words 🙂 I know we’ve chatted about this already, but if you need more info from me, let me know – would be thrilled to have you guest post! Have a great Monday, Josh.

• kathy casey September 7, 2009, 9:21 am

Sorry about your TS – it sucks when things are out of your control!
    I can’t resist the urge to pile it on…so – I’ll see you on my blog….You KNOW you want too!
    Just sent you an email – and I know you won’t say no to ME- Looking forward to collaboration! -kathy

• lori September 7, 2009, 11:39 am

Hi Josh, sorry about your TS flaring up. I hope I can help you in some way. I know how it is, the whole flare up thing. Let’s get through this together!

I’m IN! I just sent you an email…

I love this idea! 🙂

• Josh Hanagarne September 7, 2009, 11:42 am

Lori, thanks. I’ll be fine. There’s no alternative. Things always end eventually. I replied to your email.

• Sarah Stone September 7, 2009, 12:13 pm

I’m all for helping people Josh so I’m in 😉

• Josh Hanagarne September 7, 2009, 12:21 pm

Sarah, I replied to your email. I like the idea.

• Helen Hoefele September 7, 2009, 1:04 pm

Wishing you the best. I’ve sent in a request via your Contact Page. Looking forward to seeing the results of the experiment!

• Josh Hanagarne September 7, 2009, 2:09 pm

@Helen. Got it, thanks! I was hoping you’d show up.

• Mike T Nelson September 7, 2009, 1:28 pm

Hi there buddy!

I am all up to help anyway I can! Email me and we will work out the details.

Rock on!
    Mike T Nelson PhD(c)

• Casey Brazeal (North and Clark) September 7, 2009, 1:55 pm

This post is fantastic. As good as anything I’ve seen you write. I can’t wait to put it up Tuesday.

Also, totally unrelated, I didn’t know you were 6’8” I’m 6’7” we got to get you on my ultimate frisbee team. When are you moving to Chicago?

• Josh Hanagarne September 7, 2009, 2:11 pm

@Casey B. I was in Chicago in July. I’ll move there immediately. We would be pretty imposing on the frisbee grounds.

• Sami - Life, Laughs & Lemmings September 7, 2009, 2:38 pm

Josh, you really do have kangaroos skipping around in your top paddock, which is perfect. You’ll fit right in at Life, Laughs & Lemmings (assuming of course you haven’t reached 1000 guest posts already). I’ll come up with some “genius” angle and email you! 😉

• Josh Hanagarne September 7, 2009, 2:51 pm

@Sami, that’s a very zippy alternative to “bats in the belfry.” I’ll await you anxiously, after a manner of speaking.

• Stephanie Smith September 7, 2009, 3:31 pm

Josh,
    The nurse in me sends my heart out cheering to someone who so clearly has no intention of allowing any disease or condition to run their lives!
    As a “budding” blogger, the gauntlet was thrown….hmmmm, I am quite sure I can come up with something unique and I would love to see you put your spin on it! You rock!

• Daisy September 7, 2009, 7:05 pm

I would love to have your guest post on Compost Happens. As school starts, a book post is always welcome. I suggest banned books (always a hot topic) or an angle of your choice.
    Every time a book gets “banned” I run out and read it. 🙂

• Casey September 7, 2009, 9:07 pm

Just dropped you an email, figured whats 1 more post right? (Oh the bad pun!)

But seriously man, let me know if there’s anything I can do for you, 35 minute drive for a friend is never a problem.

• Josh Hanagarne September 7, 2009, 9:13 pm

Casey, thanks. You can make it to Salt Lake in 35 minutes? Come on up and give me a foot rub and say “there there my sweet Joshy:)”

• Josh September 8, 2009, 10:52 am

Feel free to comment on my fitness blog. I am currently in a strength cycle for an upcoming GS tournament in December. I also do some Highland Games during the spring. Critique, question, hell you can ramble on about nothing in particular since I have been reading your blog for a while now. Thanks.

• Robert Bravery September 8, 2009, 1:50 pm

What what a challenge and commitment. I admire your commitment.
    I am going to take up the challenge, I almost feel guilty because I presume that there are many others doing the same. I kinda feel guilty burdening you with yet another guest post.
    But lets see where this takes us. I am going through some thought patterns and will send you an email.
    Look out for it.

• Josh Hanagarne September 8, 2009, 4:14 pm

Robert, don’t you dare feel guilty. I’m going to write a ton and that’s just what I need. You’ll be doing me a favor. Got your email. Great recommendation!

• Beth L. Gainer September 8, 2009, 2:25 pm

Hi Josh,

I’m sorry your Tourette’s has gotten worse lately. I’m going to take you up on your challenge and will e-mail you an assignment that I think you will be able to cover (not on calculus or Celine).

I hope your condition improves soon. By the way, I have also been struggling and gave my own sob story on my Calling the Shots blog. Check it out.

• Josh Hanagarne September 8, 2009, 4:15 pm

Beth, I’m doing fine, thanks for the concern. I was just being a whiner. But now that it’s rolling, we can turn this into a publicity saturation bomb. Should be an interesting few weeks!

• Jeremy September 8, 2009, 7:39 pm

This is a very creative idea. Thanks for responding so quickly to my guest post suggestion. As I said before, this is one of the favorite spots in my reader. I look forward to your post.

You have my Fattitude of Gratitude.

• Brent September 9, 2009, 12:50 am

If you must… It has been 3 months since I posted on my own blog. This will be the motivation that I need to start regular blog posting again. Anything that you can think of to motivate me and others to post simple regular blog updates would be appreciated. BTW.. I found you from Mike CJ’s blog and am now following your rss. Good luck!!!

• Casey Brazeal (North and Clark) September 9, 2009, 11:47 am

When and how can I find out where to read all these great guest posts?

• Victoria Vargas September 10, 2009, 8:32 am

Josh,

You’re on and huge kudos for taking action to effect your own change. I certainly don’t consider it whining when you share what’s going on – it’s only whining when you don’t take some action to improve the situation. Targeted, positive solutions, no matter what form they take, is always a road I unconditionally support in myself and others. Go man, go! I’ll be emailing you shortly once I brainstorm some topic ideas to suggest for you to write about on my blog.

• Brian Heys September 19, 2009, 1:16 am

Wow, a superb idea with a truly noble motive. I only wish I could take you up on the offer, but sadly, my blog is so new it gets hardly any visitors/comments, so you wouldn’t benefit from it …

• The Midnight Writer November 16, 2009, 12:43 pm

I read your post on Copyblogger and I absolutely loved both the post and the idea. So add me to your list. I will email you. I want you to write a guest post about The Twitter Files which opens a wide door of opportunity for you. See the url above. You rock, you know! And you are brave! So what library do you work in?

• Josh Hanagarne November 16, 2009, 1:01 pm

I work at the Salt Lake City Public Library. I got your email, thanks for swinging by. This will be a fun piece you’ve sent me.

• Aletta de Wal November 16, 2009, 1:59 pm

Great writing! I was an English major and was taught how to read but not to write.:+))

I am in the early stages of writing a book called “My Real Job is Being a Artist”. Many of the artists I work with have been discouraged from pursuing art as a career. Would you write a guest post about that? If you need more information, I would be happy to call you.

Thanks!
    Aletta de Wal,
    Artist Advisor.

• Donna McAleer November 16, 2009, 10:56 pm

Love the idea and the lessons learned. I would be honored to be considered as a water stop on your ultra marthon —

word count–whatever it takes
    angle–importance of strong women roles from a male perspective.

BTW: Have you ever tried CrossFit?

Thanks for your consideration.

• Jennifer Woodard November 17, 2009, 3:14 pm

Josh,

Simply amazing. I don’t know you did it. I have a hard enough time coming up with posts for my own blog. I would love to write guest posts for other bloggers, but afraid of the pressure I would feel by committing to have to write for others and then getting writers block.

Jenn

• Josh Hanagarne November 17, 2009, 5:01 pm

Jennifer, come write a post for me. It’s easy. You’ll see!

• Jacqui November 17, 2009, 9:05 pm

Me too me too! I’m an elementary school technology teacher and boy how you could motivate kids with your story! I’ll send along an email. Thanks!