My book is going to come out in May of 2013. I will spend a couple of months of the summer working on official publicity stuff for Gotham Books, but after that I am planning on hitting the road on my own for what will, depending on the response and my financial situation, be either a mini- or mega-tour.
Here’s the thing: I’m only planning on doing library events, readings/signings in people’s homes, or book club meetings. This will be different than the typical tour and will give me a chance to meet people in a more intimate setting.
The goal is to to do 30 engagements in maybe 40 days. I’ll give myself a couple of weekends off and add in a couple of days to drive longer distances.
Oh, that’s the other thing. I love to drive and there’s a ton of this country I haven’t seen yet, so I’ll be on the road with a van full of my books. Or maybe I’ll rent a bookmobile. Or make one.
And along the way, I’ll be looking for as many Tourette’s Syndrome groups and special needs kids to meet with as possible.
So, here’s what I’m asking.
I need people who:
- Might let me sleep on their couch
- Could host a literary event in their home and round up friends to come — don’t consider this unless you have friends would would actually enjoy this
- Have an in with the local library and could help me with the pitch
- Have any sort of media contacts in their area, no matter how tenuous
- Have any other ideas for other things I might try while on the road
- Are part of any disabilities-related groups or organizations who would like to have me speak to them (free, of course, although I’d love to sell books while I’m there)
The purposes of this trip will be to sell books, meet people worth knowing, see the country, and have a good time. That’s it. If you think you could fit into any of that, I’d love to hear from you.
This is so early that it’s barely even in the planning stages. It will be a monumental undertaking and I need to start mapping things out as early as possible.
If my media team sets up a packed schedule for me–and I hope they do–who knows what I’ll actually be up for once that’s done, but I want to try!
If you can help, or you have any ideas or suggestions, please let me know in the comments section. Tell me where you’re at (geographically) and what you think you could help with, even if it’s just lending me your couch for a night.