- Are a Star Wars fan
- Have ever been a Star Wars fan
- Hate Jar Jar Binks, whom one author will only refer to as HWSNBN (He who shall not be named)
- Have ever been annoyed with George Lucas
- Like good film writing
- Like short books
- Can’t figure to exactly why Darth Vader is such a compelling character
- Lust after Billy Dee Williams with great ardency
This is one of the most enjoyable books I’ve read this year. It just happened to pass by the desk and I grabbed it. When I saw that Jonathan Lethem was involved I was pretty sure I’d love it. I did.
Galaxy is not just a series of fan letters from geeks. Some of the essays are actually critical and nasty in parts, but in that fun, knives-out-type-of-review way. Some of them are very moving. I found every single one of them extremely interesting.
To give you an idea of the scope of the topics covered, Galaxy writings on:
- The effects of Star Wars on hip-hop culture
- Kendo and light-sabre fighting
- Bill Dee Williams and serious mackdom in space
- Luke–why was he so whiny?
- Carrie Fisher, some uncomfortable tape, and choosing a different man at the end of each day in order to…
- An absolutely hysterical essay about the SW Christmas Special
- The humorlessness of George Lucas
- Fascism in the movies, or the lack of it
- Nerds and nerd culture
- Why Boba Fett is way more popular than people realize
- And much more
I know that some of that looks like it could only appeal to geeks. Maybe that’s true. I was the perfect age when Empire Strikes Back came out and my own childhood was consumed by Star Wars. Among my own circle of friends, being a kid at that time was the exact same thing as loving Star Wars.
If nostalgia–and there’s plenty of it here–has no appeal to you, I still recommend the book. It’s smart, it’s got a wonderfully varied selection of writers and topics, and it’s only about 200 pages long.
But mostly, if you hate Jar Jar, you need to read a couple of these essays.
To wrap up, I’m going to give you a clip of the Christmas Special. If you’ve never heard of it or seen it, get ready. It’s truly hideous. It’s so bad that it’s hardly even fun to laugh at.